Around 6 people were killed and 14 people were reportedly injured on Friday when a suicide bomber targeted a wedding ceremony in Eastern Afghanistan.
An associate of the militant Islamic State group’s Afghanistan claimed responsibility for the bombing in Nangarhar province which is close to the Pakistan border.
Attaullah Khogyani, the Nangarhar governor’s spokesman said “This morning at 8am, a suicide bomber detonated himself at a wedding ceremony… in Pachiragam district,” He further reported that 6 people had been killed and around 14 were injured in the attack, the numbers previously believed to be five dead and 40 injured.
Saleem Jan, a witness and a guest at the wedding who also suffered injuries reported from the hospital “All the villagers were gathered for a wedding ceremony”. He expressed confusion during the event and said “I didn’t know what happened, when I turned my face I saw dozens of people were wounded, lying on the ground.”
Zahir Adil, the regional hospitals spokesman reported that two bodies and 11 injured people were taken to the hospital in central Nangarhar city.
This suicide bombing attack occurred just after the talks between Afghan representatives and the Taliban, held in US led effort to end the war. The two-day summit in Doha concluded in a joint resolution for peace with zero civilian casualties.