Elon Musk says Twitter blue tick to be revamped
Elon Musk, the new owner of Twitter, said that the process for getting the prestigious “blue tick” will be changed. This comes after rumours that the company might start charging $20 (£17) per month to be verified.
A few days after taking over the social media giant, Mr. Musk sent out a tweet saying that the verification process was being changed.
At the moment, a blue tick is free and shows that an account is real.
Mr. Musk finished his $44 billion (£37.9 billion) takeover on Friday and has changed his Twitter name to “Chief Twit.”
During the months of legal wrangling that led up to the acquisition, the billionaire kept talking about how worried he was about the verification process and how many spam and bot accounts he thought were on the site.
Mr. Musk’s tweet on Sunday didn’t say more about what might change. But tech website The Verge reported, based on internal emails, that Twitter wants to charge people $19.99 per month to keep their blue tick verification status.
It says that the plan is to make Twitter Blue, the company’s subscription service, four times more expensive and add verification to it.
It says that verified users would have 90 days to sign up or lose their blue tick.
It said that employees found out about the project on Sunday and were told that they had to start the plan by November 7 or risk losing their jobs.
Twitter Blue came out last summer. Users who pay for it can use premium features like the ability to delete a tweet.
It is a choice right now, and it costs $4.99 per month.
Even though the plan hasn’t been officially confirmed, Mr. Musk seemed to confirm the rumours in a new tweet on Monday that said, “On no, all our evil plans have been revealed!!” In a separate development, Mr. Musk has denied a New York Times report that he plans to lay off Twitter workers before the beginning of next month to avoid having to pay out bonuses.
It comes after his buyout of the company last week, which led to the departure of the CEO, the chairman, and the head of finance.
The New York Times reported over the weekend that Mr. Musk had told Twitter to cut a lot of jobs.
The newspaper said that the layoffs would happen before November 1, when workers were supposed to get grants of company shares as a big part of their pay.
But when asked about the report on Twitter, he said, “This is not true.”
People on Twitter have been talking about how the platform will change now that Mr. Musk owns it.
Some people worry that if free speech rules are made less strict, people who have been banned for spreading hate speech or false information might be able to get back on the platform.
Mr. Musk said last week that he doesn’t want the platform to become a place where hate and division are amplified. “Obviously, Twitter can’t turn into a free-for-all hellscape where anyone can say anything with no consequences!” he tweeted.
But after Mr. Musk denied the report of job cuts in the New York Times, he tweeted a screen shot of a headline in the New York Times about him posting a link to a “site known to publish false news.”
The headline in the New York Times was about a response that Mr. Musk posted over the weekend and then deleted in response to a tweet by Hillary Clinton, who ran for president of the United States in 2008.
His answer included a link to a conspiracy theory about an attack on Paul Pelosi, who is married to Nancy Pelosi, the speaker of the US House of Representatives. Mr. Musk also started a Twitter poll asking his more than 112 million followers if he should bring back the short-video app Vine.
In 2012, Twitter bought the service that let people share six-second clips that looped.
It had more than 200 million active users by the end of 2015, but the social media platform stopped using it.
Mr. Musk has done polls to find out if he should sell 10% of his stake in the company that makes electric cars, Tesla, and if Twitter should have an edit button.