Qureshi calls for intervention saying India heading towards genocide in Occupied Kashmir

0
1745
shah mehmood qureshi

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi on Thursday stated that international organisations had admitted that the situation in Indian occupied Kashmir had severely deteriorated.
“People take matters into their own hands when there is no food, medicines available and the elderly and children are in a dire situation,” Qureshi said.
The foreign minister said there had been a call given in occupied Kashmir to defy curfew after Friday prayers. “What will happen next? They (India) will try to subdue this with bullets. There will be a massacre there.”
Qureshi added that he would be speaking with the Human Rights Commissioner of the United Nations and had also written a letter. “Till when will you remain silent. The crimes of crimes in international law is genocide and this is where India is heading. It is the responsibility of everyone to stop this.”
US-based Genocide Watch has issued an alert and urged the United Nations and its members to warn India not commit genocide in Indian occupied Kashmir.
Occupied Kashmir has been under curfew and lockdown since August 05 after the Indian government abolished special Article, which granted special status to the valley. The curfew and lockdown has led to protests in the valley with thousands of Kashmiris including Hurriyat leaders placed under house arrest or detained.
Meanwhile, Foreign Minister Makhdoom Shah Mahmood Qureshi held a telephonic conversation with Foreign Minister Ignazio Cassis of Switzerland today to brief him on the current situation in the Indian occupied Jammu and Kashmir.
The Foreign Minister highlighted the illegal and unilateral undertaking by India to change the disputed status of Indian occupied Jammu and Kashmir and its demographic structure. He added that these steps were in contravention of the resolutions of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) on Jammu and Kashmir and International Law.
The Foreign Minister underlined that actions taken by India posed grave risk to peace and security in the region and were aimed at bringing a material change to the status of Jammu and Kashmir.
He underscored the severe hardships faced by the people of the Indian occupied Jammu and Kashmir in the face of unprecedented lock-down and curfew since 05 August 2019. He added that due to the brutal steps taken by the Indian Government, people of IoK were facing shortages of basic human necessities such as food and medicines. The Foreign Minister added that India was committing serious human rights violations in IoK, which may lead to a humanitarian catastrophe.
Foreign Minister Cassis expressed concern at situation in Kashmir and urged both sides to exercise restraint. He emphasized on the need to deescalate the situation, avoid loss of lives and resolve issues peacefully through dialogue.
The two leaders agreed to continue to work together for peace and stability in the region. – NNI